Posted on June 13, 2017 by Vanguard Landing
As we move closer to our goal of creating accessible, beautiful homes and work opportunities for individuals with intellectual disabilities, we are constantly looking for opportunities to serve our future participants in the here and now. We’ve seen that there is a demonstrated need in the area for transportation, and are so excited to say we’ve raised enough money for our first van! You’ve walked alongside us through a busy Spring season of fundraising, and because of you, we’ll be able to start helping future residents NOW through our transport service.
It was amazing to see how our community came together through the Over The Edge and Give Local Fundraisers, raising nearly $37,000! As we continue to raise support we hope others will also see the importance of Vanguard Landing and our impact on an underserved community. It will be life-changing for so many families, and will be successful as our community literally wraps its arms around the project, to see it developed!
There are many ways to continue supporting this amazing cause, but here are two easy things you can do:
Become a Guardian Angel
This is a program where an automatic, monthly donation of $25 or more to Vanguard Landing is established for a designated period of time. You set the start date, and the end date for this monthly donation! Click Here to fill out the form and become a blessing to VGL!
Leave your mark with engraved brick for just $125, or a large brick for $250. These will be used to pave the walkways at Vanguard Landing. Bricks can be customized with words and a design. You can choose to honor a loved one, or simply show your support. Click Here to place your order now and support the Campaign to Fund Vanguard Landing!
As always, we appreciate your support and are so excited to see this community becoming a reality. Thank you for helping make our big dreams a reality!
Posted on May 8, 2017 by Vanguard Landing
So far our generous sponsors have made this year pretty amazing. We recently held our Over The Edge event, and the turnout was incredible! A big thank you to everyone for being a part of this and making it a success.
When you give toward our Vanguard Landing, you help provide a home for our residents for years to come. Vanguard Landing is designed to be a community where individuals can live independently, while earning income from jobs on the property. We have the land, we have the plans, and now we’re working tirelessly to raise necessary funds for building.
You may not know that the vision for Vanguard Landing is to be a self-sustaining community once built and in operation. Your generous donations NOW are what get us on our way! The power of a one-time gift can be felt for a lifetime with an organization like ours!
Too many of our family members and friends with intellectual disabilities have little to no choice in residential and employment opportunities. The current options are scarce, and are not appropriate for their individual needs. Vanguard Landing was created to provide a positive and secure community for families to choose for their loved one!
Posted on April 3, 2017 by Vanguard Landing
As we get closer to breaking ground at Vanguard Landing, we can’t help but get excited about the daily happenings to come. One of the most exciting things about what we’re building is that we’ll be able to give an amazing group of people the opportunity to do very normal, every day tasks.
Follow us through a potential day in the life of a future Vanguard Landing resident!
Tom likes routine and sets his alarm to get up early even on weekends. On this particular day, he is anxious to get to the bakery. He knows he has a lot of cookies to bake with his co-workers, as they sold out of almost everything the day before. They are all good but the all chocolate with white chocolate chunks are this week’s best seller and are gone!
His one-bedroom row house is fixed exactly the way he likes it and is his self-proclaimed “bachelor pad”. He heads over to the café, and the chef knows his dietary needs to keep his weight to a healthy level. He loves omelets and loves the vegetarian with tomatoes, onions and bell peppers. The bell peppers were grown on-site in the Van Garden High tunnels. After breakfast, he gets to the bakery and works with the team to make dough and start scooping cookies before the customers arrive. The manager reminds them that they have a large order being picked up at 1:00pm by a local realtor for his big Open House.
After all that scooping, Tom is ready to shoot some hoops with his friends at the Sportsplex in the neighborhood, so he goes and changes clothes and enjoys himself before dinner!
We’re so grateful for your continued support, and patience, as we work to make this lifestyle a reality for so many adults just like “Tom”!
Posted on March 2, 2017 by Vanguard Landing
We’ve got a lot of exciting things happening in the next few months, and hope you’ll join us!
Over The Edge
We’re getting closer to this adrenaline-fueled fundraiser. You’ll go OVER the TOP of the beautiful Holiday Inn Oceanside on the Boardwalk of Virginia Beach!
Here’s the thing though- EVERYTHING is better when we come together as a team! So, how do you make that happen?
Your company or friend group signs up as a team and raises the money Together to send your boss or a chosen co-worker OVER The EDGE! We will come and present to your office to get you started if you want!!!
Here are some ways:
• Toss Your Boss– all employees collect funds to send them as a rapeller!
• Sign up as your company’s name and everyone pitch in $ and have a drawing for who gets to represent at the event as a rapeller! We will offer you the chance to send two for a discount of $300!!! Instead of $1200 each……you can send 2 employees for $2100 instead of $2400!!!
• Push Your Principal!!– school signs your Principal up and all work together to raise the $1200 ! Schools can compete for who can raise the most to Push Their Principal!
•Soar for the Scouts– Den leader participates and their scouts raise the funds!
The ideas are endless!!!!
This is a WIN WIN as YOUR company, business, civic group, etc gets advertising while helping in YOUR community!! Click here to sign up!
Also, we’d also like to say a big thank you to our sponsors who have so generously donated.
“Roped In” Level Sponsors: Stanton Partners and Holiday Inn Oceanside
“Safe Landing” Level Sponsors: Pace Collaborative, Towne Bank
“High Five” Level Sponsors: Veterans United Home Loans, Alperin Law
“Just Hanging Around” Level Sponsors: Covington Hendrix Anderson Architects, Nationwide Insurance, The Miller Group, Entercom
Give Local 757
You’ll hear more about this amazing event next month, but here’s the breakdown. Give Local 757 is an event geared toward raising funds AND raising awareness about amazing organizations all over Hampton Roads. For 24 hours beginning at midnight on May 9, people will be donating, and we hope you’ll support Vanguard Landing on this incredible day!
Last year we exceeded our goal of $10,000 with a total of $17,809. YOU did that, and we are so grateful.
Posted on February 8, 2017 by Vanguard Landing
The month of February is a great time to talk about the heart of giving, and why we do what we do. It’s also a great time to say THANK YOU to our generous supporters. There are many ways to give of your heart to our organization, and we appreciate it!
Each one of us has a reason for pouring our love into this community AND this dream, but sometimes it helps to hear the words that have been sent our way.
“My heart belongs to Vanguard Landing because my daughter’s future is in this inclusive community of her peers where her independent life can begin.”
“My heart belongs to Vanguard Landing because of the way my son’s eyes light up when he talks about the exciting things he will get to do there.”
“My heart belongs to Vanguard Landing because my son deserves a happy, fulfilling and safe future in a nurturing and loving environment.”
“My heart belongs to Vanguard Landing because I want to live in my own place but I need help daily to do that. I want to be with my friends every day.”
“My heart belongs to Vanguard Landing because it is my hope for a secure and happy future for my adult sons’ with special needs.”
“My heart belongs to Vanguard Landing because I believe that everyone has the right to live, work and play where they can achieve the best life they can without fear of being in danger or without limitations.”
If you’re looking for a way to be a part of everything going on around here, we have some ideas:
When Vanguard Landing posts something online that moves you, share it with your friends! We use Facebook and Twitter to get the word out about all we have going on, and a simple share can go a long way.
Choose Vanguard Landing when shopping through the Amazon Smile portal, and a portion goes back to our community!
Sign Up to go OVER THE EDGE.
The next event you can take part in is Over The Edge 2017! This exciting event sends participants rappelling down the side of a building. NO BIG DEAL.
At Vanguard we want to invite everyone to become part of our story and our mission, and we appreciate every bit of support – whether in the form of donations or precious time. We thank all of our loyal supporters for your kindness and generosity in helping make the Vanguard Landing dream a reality.
Posted on January 13, 2017 by Vanguard Landing
2016 was an incredible year for the Vanguard Landing project and all that occurred propels us closer to the reality of being able to turn the first shovel and get this community “out of the ground!’
We hope that you will continue this amazing journey as we start 2017 off with lots of excitement!
Many of us start a new year off organizing, making resolutions and challenging ourselves to make a positive impact on our lives and the community we live in. If this sounds like YOU, then we challenge you to choose Vanguard Landing as one of your resolutions to do good and help us make this year one that will certainly make a difference in the lives of the amazing and deserving individuals who so desperately need and want what VGL has to offer!
Here are some ways you can help, but there are even more ways than on this list:
- Commit to our cause to get the dirt moving and make it a regular part of your life. To immerse yourself into something greater than yourself can really reinvigorate you!
- Help spread the word about Our Mission by sharing our Facebook messages and our website with friends and asking them to take a look and engage them in a conversation about getting them involved whether its inviting them to an event or introducing them to us to be a part of the Construction/Development process. How the other communities we are modeled after have been successful is that the community businesses and individuals have literally “wrapped their arms” around the project to get it going! Remember, once we are fully built, we are self-sustaining for the most part!
- It costs lots of money to develop raw land and start site work and put in utilities and if we had to pay full price for all of these things, we would never be able to afford to start or finish construction and keep our doors open. The ONLY way is for the contractors to discount their materials and labor and others give money and time to help and then the non-profit is not left with huge debt service. The goal is to serve our residents and day program participants and sustain ourselves and we just need help to get that started!
- Sign up to volunteer for an event or a work party or talk to a group that you are involved with to get their support to give to Vanguard in their budgets. Whether its Sugar Plum Bakery holding a month of cookie sales to support us to a service organization sharing their fundraising profits with us, it all adds up!
- The NEXT Event we are holding on May 5th – 6th to raise funds is called OVER THE EDGE and we are going to be hosting 92 Rappel spots to go OVER the Top of the beautiful Holiday Inn Oceanside on the Boardwalk of Virginia Beach! Sign up today to grab a spot and start your fundraising page, form a company corporate team or inquire about a Sponsorship opportunity.
- Later that same week we will be once again be participating in the awesome GIVE Local 757 Online Event! Thanks to our Donors we have increased the profits from that in a HUGE way over the last several years.
- Watch for news of our Hearts & Hoofbeats being held this coming Fall.
We are hoping to BREAK GROUND THIS YEAR!
Posted on December 15, 2016 by Vanguard Landing
Vanguard Landing is a vision that we knew from the start would not take shape overnight. It has been a labor of love to spread awareness, raise funds for our capital campaign, distribute the application packet for families to fill out for their loved ones in order to be added to our waiting list, and garner the support of our community through grassroots initiatives.
And we continue to do all of these things as we push forward toward creating our residential community.
2016 has been quite an exciting and eventful year for us. In case you missed it, here are some of the amazing things that have happened this year for Vanguard Landing:
– We participated in Give Local 757’s day of giving in May, and we TRIPLED our donations from last year’s event! Last year we collected $5672.88 and this year from the online and mailed donations, combined with the bonus prize money we were awarded throughout the day of giving, we collected $17,709!
– Vanguard Landing has taken shape as a venue to host community events, such as our Vanguard Assembly event in August, which offered a rare opportunity for people within the community to interact with both office holders and candidates at all levels of government, in one location, and at the same time.
– We partnered with Beach Ford and Tom Barton III to hold a Mustang Raffle, and in a surprising twist, the winner of the car decided to donate it back to us! This resulted in us raising $36,000 in raffle ticket sales leading up to the event, all of which was donated to the Vanguard Landing cause! What a beautiful display of community and charity.
– We hosted our 3rd Annual Hearts & Hoofbeats gala event, this year condensed into one day as opposed to a full weekend. Our casino-themed night was enjoyed by all, and we even had a special visitor, American Idol winner – Trent Harmon – who serenaded us and spent time with some of our future VL residents! Thanks to 106.1 New Country for making this guest appearance happen, as well as all our other amazing sponsors who truly made Hearts & Hoofbeats 2016 a night to remember.
These milestones and successful events are only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the tremendous momentum our organization and community is building! We have extended our reach through our presence online and out in the community, and we are excited to have application packets rolling in from families who tell us they have been waiting for something like Vanguard Landing to be created for too long.
We aren’t stopping here. We are committed to providing a safe, person-centered community for individuals who need additional opportunities for life skills, continuing education, pre-vocational and job skill development, meaningful employment both on and off campus, life long fitness, social skills, leisure time utilization, expressive arts, friendships and continued family and community involvement.
But we can’t do this alone. We need your help. We invite you to come along on this journey with us, through making a tax-deductible end-of-year donation and helping us spread the word about this amazing resource that will soon be a beacon of hope in Virginia Beach.
Posted on November 28, 2016 by Vanguard Landing
We know many of you are busy scouring the internet today for the hottest Cyber Monday deals on holiday gifts or other items you’ve been holding off on. Did you know that you can support Vanguard Landing as a non-profit organization while doing so? Here are two programs we are participating with (all year-round!), and we’d love if you checked them out:
It’s easy! If you’re shopping on Amazon, we participate with the AmazonSmile program. All if you have to do is visit AmazonSmile and select “Vanguard Landing” as your choice for a preferred organization, then start shopping! You’ll need to be sure you’re using the “Smile.Amazon.com” link each time you shop.
How does it work?
- Amazon donates 0.5% of the price of your eligible AmazonSmile purchases to the charitable organization of your choice.
- AmazonSmile is the same Amazon you know. Same products, same prices, same service.
- Tens of millions of products on AmazonSmile are eligible for donations. You will see eligible products marked “Eligible for AmazonSmile donation” on their product detail pages.
You use the same account on Amazon.com and AmazonSmile. Your shopping cart, Wish List, wedding or baby registry, and other account settings are also the same. The only difference is the link you use to access Amazon! There is no additional charge for participating in the Amazon Smile program. However, we always encourage you to consider making a recurring or one-time donation through our website here.
We would be willing to bet that you’ll likely be shopping at Wal-Mart, Bed Bath & Beyond, Walgreens, JCPenney or any number of the 1,700 retailers participating with the iGive program. If so, you could be making a donation to Vanguard Landing while you shop, at no extra charge to you! On average, iGive members donate around $100 to causes they care about, simply by doing the shopping they would already be doing! Members who join and support a cause can generate donations by shopping at any of the 1,772 participating stores, or by simply using a built-in search engine. There is no cost, obligation, or hidden fees. iGive always has been and always will be a free service to causes and members!
How to shop through iGive:
- Click on this link to begin. Type in “Vanguard Landing” and select our organization from the drop-down.
- Create an account.
- Start shopping!
Posted on November 11, 2016 by Vanguard Landing
The holiday season is upon us, and as another year draws to a close, we are reminded again of how very grateful we are for the continued support we receive from our local community: Families, parents, educators, local businesses and organizations, politicians, local influencers, law enforcement and first responders, radio stations and so many others… We are forever grateful for these groups and individuals who share our vision to create this residential community for adults with disabilities. We would not have been able to raise $36,000 in our recent Mustang Raffle fundraiser or host a successful gala event with Trent Harmon providing the music and so many local businesses providing the food and entertainment for our 3rd annual Hearts and Hoofbeats. If you missed out on this event, no hard feelings and we hope to see you next year! Here are some beautiful photos that were taken by David O’Dell at this year’s Hearts & Hoofbeats:
The traditional African proverb, “It takes a village to raise a child” has been widely quoted in many instances, and we believe it is true here as well. For a community such as Vanguard Landing to flourish and provide alternative opportunities for a fulfilled life for adults with intellectual disabilities, the community has to understand the pressing need for it in the first place. The community must wrap its arms around these individuals and see the importance and value of creating avenues for choice rather than limiting the options that are available to this population and their families.
The reality is that too many of our family members and friends with intellectual disabilities have little to no choice in residential and employment opportunities. The current options are scarce, require that the person have a Medicaid waiver, and are not appropriate for their individual needs. Vanguard Landing was created to provide another option for persons and their families to choose from. One size does not fit all and everyone wants the chance to live a fulfilling life and some just need a little extra support to achieve this. Furthermore, the families of people with intellectual disabilities must cope with the fear and uncertainty of who will care for or provide support for their loved one after they are gone.
The founders of Vanguard Landing want to help in meeting the needs of our fellow citizens with needs for support due to their intellectual and developmental disability. Vanguard Landing is going to follow in the footsteps of all of the progressive intentional communities around the country in offering another choice for our fellow citizens. Everyone has the right to choose from a variety of settings in which to live and work and Vanguard Landing will be another option for families to choose.
We thank every single one of our supporters, volunteers, sponsors, and donors – large or small. Thank you to everyone who follows us on Facebook, subscribes to our newsletter, attends our events, and volunteers their time and energy toward this special cause. You are what we are thankful for, today and every day!
Posted on November 1, 2016 by Vanguard Landing
Last Saturday, we held our 3rd Annual Hearts & Hoofbeats fundraiser event, and came together as a community to show our support for the creation of our residential community for individuals with intellectual disabilities. There was much anticipation throughout the crowd for one particular event of the evening — the drawing to see who would win the 2017 Ford Mustang, courtesy of Beach Ford. Our winner was selected at random but they were not in attendance for the event to accept their official acknowledgment of their prize.
After a few days of communicating back and forth, we are incredibly excited to announce that the winner of the 2017 Ford Mustang, Spencer S. has donated the car back to Vanguard Landing to be sold! Spencer said that while they were excited to win the car, they really entered the raffle to support Vanguard Landing as a future residence for their nephew. Beach Ford has agreed to help with selling the car, so 100% of the proceeds from the raffle are now directly benefiting Vanguard Landing. The car is now available for sale through Beach Ford in Virginia Beach.
Thank you so much to all who were involved, to Spencer and Beach Ford and Tom Barton for making the raffle and our third Hearts & Hoofbeats fundraiser a huge success. We sold all but three of our 400 Mustang Raffle tickets, raising $36,000 in raffle ticket sales leading up to the event! The dream of providing a community for those with intellectual and development differences is another step closer to fruition! We couldn’t do it without you.